Your guide to getting certified as an Addictions Professional
Your guide to getting certified as an Addictions Professional


0 0 votes
Article Rating
Organization Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia Georgia Addiction Counselors Association
Address 6755 Peachtree Industrial Blvd. #110
Atlanta, GA 30360
4015 South Cobb Dr. Ste. 160
Smyrna, GA 30080
Phone # (770) 825-0481  (770) 434-1000
National Affiliate IC&RC NAADAC
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
robin trammell

I am a licensed chemical dependency counselor INTERN from texas; I now live in Georgia and never starting accruing hours as an intern in tx. I have a bs in criminal justice and many years experience as a former PO and correctional counselor in a TC environment at tn prison for women. I will be making my home in ga and would like to be a substance abuse counselor intern working toward my licensing as a certified counselor one day. what do I need to do to obtain status as a licensed chemical dependency counselor intern in Georgia? in texas… Read more »

Contact Kelly Moselle at the ADACBGA. The phone number is on the website… adacbga dot org. He can give you the specifics about the Georgia CADC-T (trainee credential). Your experience and previous CEs, clinical supervision, etc. you gained in Texas should still be able to count in Georgia as well. You might be closer to full certification than you think! 🙂 Kelly will help you. Amanda might answer the phone as well – she can help you just the same.

Welcome to Georgia!!


You have two options in Georgia and it seems like either certification is acceptable by most employers. I moved to Georgia from Louisiana and went with the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia (ADACBGA) because I was already affiliated with IC&RC. The staff at ADACBGA was very helpful. You can certainly get a substance abuse certification with a bachelor’s degree, but you will get hours with a certified clinical supervisor. With the ADACBGA you can start as a CADC Trainee. Good luck and welcome to Georgia.


I have been a substance counselor for 20 yrs. I have moved to Ga I was told my certification from IL or FL are not accatable here what do I need to do. Would national certification be allowed?

Ted Pinkard

I’m not sure what certification that you have, but IL and FL are both affiliated with IC&RC. I would contact Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia. Their website is at They were very helpful when I moved to GA.

Roberta, I am on the Board of Directors of the ADACBGA. We have direct reciprocity with Florida if you are certified already through the Florida board. You should contact the Florida Certification Board and ask for a Reciprocity Application. You then submit that to the Florida board…they will, in turn, submit it to IC&RC… IC&RC will then send to ADACBGA what your reciprocal/equivalent credential is in the State of Georgia. It’s a very easy process (costs $100 I believe), but it has to start with the board where you are already certified (in this case Florida). We reciprocate between FL… Read more »

Leslie Hudson

Hi, I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with an interest in becoming a Certified or Licensed in Substance abuse. I currently work for the department of defense in the substance abuse dept overseas. Is it possible for me to work on my certification via online? I understand having to come to the States for the written test which is no problem. My LCSW is under Ga State Board. Also which substance abuse license or certification is considered to be the highest level? Thanks

If you are at the Masters level, you should obtain the CAADC through the Alcohol & Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia (ADACBGA), the IC&RC affiliate. You can get the information at their website (adacbga dot org). That is the highest substance abuse counselor certification in the State of Georgia.


In the State of Georgia is there a difference between a CAC and CDAC?

Robert Mancini

Georgia does not license addiction counselors. However, counselors can demonstrate qualifications through voluntary third party certification.

The Georgia Addiction Counselors Association Certification Board is affiliated with the Association for Addiction Professionals (NAADAC) . The Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification Board of Georgia is a member of the International Certification & Reciprocity Consortium (IC & RC).

Both organizations have provisions for reviewing and certifying addiction counselors who have been granted certification by other agencies.

Matt, The CAC is through GACA and the CADC or CAADC is through the ADACBGA. The later (ADACBGA) is the IC&RC affiliate, and there are multiple states and foreign countries that have direct, simple reciprocity if you ever move. GACA is a NAADAC affiliate without the same reciprocal advantages. That said, within the State of GA they are recognized equally. GACA requires clinical supervision from only one of THEIR clinical supervisors, so depending on where you reside that could be a barrier. ADACBGA allows supervision from either board or from a Licensed professional (LCSW, LPC, LMFT, etc.) who has addiction… Read more »

Nikki Whitaker

I hold a B. A. In Sociology with minors in Criminal and Social Skills. How due I obtain certification in Substance Abuse Counseling and/or counseling in GA? I have no idea where to even start.

Hey Nikki!! If you will contact the ADACBGA (phone number and email address on the website… adacbga dot org) you can see all the applications. I could encourage you to call the board and speak to either Amanda or Kelly and they can guide you. It can certainly be overwhelming! With your BA in Sociology you could quality for the CADC-II through ADACBGA, which gives you the ability to practice independently in the State of Georgia without ongoing clinical supervision after you are certified.


Deborah Massey LCSW, ICADC II

I need to find e-counseling training in ethics; clinical principles/ treatment modalities; and legal & jurisdictional implications. Who offers these trainings?


I am considering moving from new Jersey to Georgia and will be recieving my certification in a few months . Does Georgia have reciprocity?

VeNeice M. Austin

I am a certified CASAC from NYS, my certification ends on 2/2022
I am trying to change my certification to Georgia standards, can you please contact me for future references.

toi jackson

Hi VeNeice, I am trying to the same thing were you able to change your CASAC certification to Georgia?

Coach Kathy

I am a certified life coach. I have a bachelors in computer science but have been working with teens possessing mental health diagnosis and drug additions. I facilitate group sessions (parentingting, anger management, substance abuse and soft skills) I also provide 1-1 and family coaching. Am I eligible for an addiction or substance abuse certification?

Stephanie Pearson

I am interested in getting certified in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling. Any suggestions on where to get the training…

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x